Thursday, May 11, 2006

Oh DEER its also a CHICK thing

AKA the Farm Report Bulletin The Peepers my sweetie got several weeks ago were old enough to be let out of their first holding pen and into the inside part of the coop about a week ago. While the wee ones seemed a bit tenuous about their new surroundings they managed. 7:30 am the announcement came , as my sweetie had made his am sweep of his peeps. An older hen whom had been sitting on a clutch of eggs, abandoned her eggs [the roosters are probably too old … She was also possible too old …] Bottom line she took up Mothering the new peeps. Now that is totally wonderful because I doubt she would have other wise ever had a chance to Mother. So Neat! Two mornings ago my sweetie and I were looking out from the Breakfast Nook at the goslings. There just beyond the gaggle of geese were the twins. Soon we shall see this years new fawns a rather neat thing to observe even after @ 30 years of it. Last years fawns grown up. They were headed toward my Hosta plants. A particular delicacy it seems in these parts. I hastened outside and shook my finger at them and muttered ‘ it is still a NO NO’ Ha, ha they politely lumbered off into the creek bed and over to the other side. I am sure waiting for a time I will not be around.

No comments: