Monday, July 02, 2007

Not quite an Elephant’s eye UNLESS

It is a short Elephant! HA! Knee high by the 4th of July, gosh, heck and gee whiz the corn is as high as D’s eye. Oh, what a beautiful mornin',Oh, what a beautiful day. I got a beautiful feelin' Ev'rything's goin' my way. Oh Yeah baby, and Emerilism there, but the roofers are almost finished, the painters are being lined up and the Surprise for Sweetie Might get put together this night. Finding "corn as high as an elephant's eye" proved to be quite a challenge. Since filming the musical ”Oklahoma” was to take place out of season, no tall cornfields were to be found anywhere. The job was given to the people of the University of Arizona Agricultural Department, who planted each stalk in individual containers and held their breath. With rain and good luck, the corn grew to a height of 16 feet, causing Oscar Hammerstein to quip: "The corn is now as high as the eye of an elephant on top of another elephant."

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

That was really interesting about the corn in "Oklahoma". That musical has been my all time favorite since I was young and finding out background info is neat.

I can sing nearly all the songs by heart and my favorites are, of course, "Oklahoma", "Surrey With the Fringe on Top" and "Everything's Up To Date in Kansas City!" I'd sing these to my granddaughter when she was little, but at 19 she still likes them.

Love your site 'cause you always bring back such nice memories for me.

What is the surprise????

Alyssa

DeeMom said...

The surprise got started TODAY, son and I got some done UNTIL it was totally apparent we needed my Sweetie to lift that barge and tote that bale....MAYBE tomorrow ;)

AS for the Musical I totally agree, the songs are so wonderful...

Many musical s like that, AKA South Pacific