Friday, May 18, 2007

This is SPRING at 45 degrees OUTSIDE?

My first clue that it was chilly? It seems the gas went off! I finally noticed this after the Tree Guy was here and the house seemed just chilly enough to turn the furnace back on. Inside temperatures 64 degrees then add the chill factor! We all know, those that live here and or have lived here, what THAT Drill is. That means once the furnace has maintained a certain temperature, I then get to re light the hot water tanks. That means no shower or anything-needing warm, tepid to hot water. Good thing I have the mowing and weed-eating done! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Goodness Memorial Day weekend is coming and I am once again wearing a turtleneck plus a heavy sweatshirt and EVEN SOCKS! I plodded out this am to let the older ducklings out, wearing also rain gear. I am far from complaining that we have the rain, goodness knows we needed it. It is the chill factor with the temperatures so low. My Climbing High Tree guy got here early to inspect a couple of trees that need trimmed before we proceed with our next major project of re roofing our home. As I showed him the trees that needed some minor cosmetic up lifting, or PLUCKING as it were, I looked into the cold frame that is housing our Veggies. The tomato plants have blossoms on them, good thing they are not yet in the garden the cool temperatures would surely stunt their progress. Besides the garden needs the rest of the fencing put back up to keep the young plants safe from the geese. I did not even attempt to scoot them out these last few days for that very reason. No plants and not all the fencing re placed. Supposedly by this weekend the temperatures will get warmer, we shall see about that! Showers today and tomorrow then temperatures to get into the low 70’s with evening lows in the high to low 50’s. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Good thing there is still some wood close to have a fire tonight. Might be making my famous Venison Chili with cornbread! Of course I take liberties with the recipe every time I make it. This is the basic one I use, then I modify as I see fit. HALFTIME CHILI 2 tablespoons olive oil 1 1/2 cups chopped onions 8 large garlic cloves, chopped 3 pounds ground chuck 5 tablespoons chili powder 1 tablespoon ground cumin 1 teaspoon dried basil 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes with added puree 1 14 1/2-ounce can low-salt chicken broth 1 12-ounce bottle beer 1 6-ounce can tomato paste 1 15- to 16-ounce can prepared chili beans Heat oil in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic. Sauté until onions are translucent, about 8 minutes. Add chuck and sauté until brown, breaking up meat with back of spoon, about 5 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin, basil, oregano and thyme. Stir 2 minutes. Mix in crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, beer and tomato paste. Simmer until thickened to desired consistency, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, about 1 hour 15 minutes. in beans. Simmer 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 3 days ahead. Refrigerate until cold, then cover. Rewarm over low heat before serving.) Serves 8 to 10. Bon Appétit January 1996

No comments: