Friday, December 22, 2006

Our First Christmas Tree!

Memories revisited of many Christmases ago brought forth in an article in The Charleston Gazette. My Sweetie handed me the article and as I sat there reading and chuckling and remembering. I am so blessed I met this man I call my husband, the father of our children and more importantly MY BEST FRIEND! Our little tree was a cut tree we purchased from the parking lot of the local Piggly Wiggly [a grocery chain]. We did not have a big apartment, and we waited too long but there was one tree that needed a good home. We got it in the Apartment and into a tree holder with ease. In fact the tree holders ring was way to larger for the thin sapling. We had to wrap a towel around the base of the tree to the tree could be heal securely in the grip of the tree holder. We had no decorations, but I managed to find a local store that had handmade ones. We still hang many of those decorations even to this day. The decorations were made of straw, very lightweight. I was so pleased with my purchases and rushed home so we could decorate the tree together. We got a few on before it was obvious that the lightweight straw ornament were too heavy for the fragile boughs. I remember having my Sweetie sit there in our basement apartment as I made tiny bows out of the narrowest ribbon [using his two fingers. It seemed we made dozens. I could find at the local fabric shop. Bear and Julep [our Dogs then] were content to sit and watch as Christy [our Cat then] bounded in and out of her pet window. Reflecting back on that moment makes me think! Next year we need to find a tree that needs a good home, just like the one we had on our first Christmas together as man and wife. Merry Christmas My love!

No comments: