Monday, December 18, 2006

A Mischief of Mice

Chocolate Christmas Mice Cookies
They were too cute to eat; everyone took them home instead to show people. They are easy to make and a great project to do with children. No baking required, just use Hershey's chocolate kisses, double stuffed Oreos, maraschino cherries and chocolate chips to “build” your Christmas mice!
INGREDIENTS: 24 Double Stuffed Oreos 1 C. chocolate chips 2 tsp. shortening 24 maraschino cherries 24 chocolate kisses
PREPARATION: 1. Carefully twist Oreo cookies apart. Set aside the ones with the cream filling on them; save plain halves for another use. 2. In microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. 6. Place in refrigerator until chocolate sets. 7. With green decorative gel, pipe holly leaves on white cream of cookie by the mouse. 8. Pipe holly berries between the leaves with the red gel. 9. Pipe eyes on each chocolate kiss. 10. Store in airtight container at room temperature.
Tips:
I used Almond Bark instead of the chocolate chips and eliminated the need for shortening.
Maraschino cherries need to have stems and be well drained. You can use a clean eyebrow tweezers or something else to grasp the cherries by the stems to dunk in chocolateHECK no way dipping with fingers allows the necessity to lick fingers then washing hands before more dipping is done!
What to do with the leftover non iced Oreo! My Sweetie totally loves chocolate and as I was doing this project I knew what was happening with the non-iced portions of the Oreo. I also knew there was a double boiler pot with luscious deep dark chocolate in it. As with most projects there are leftovers as was in this case. I took what melted Chocolate was left over and RESTUFFED the remaining Oreos. Tada! I do believe he liked them.

1 comment:

Tene Murray said...

FINALLY - I get time to read your blog and see these wonderful mice! I'm gonna have to make these in my "spare time"!