Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The Mice were a hit~

I read to a fourth grade class every other week and I usually try to add something of interest that compliments or extends if you will the story in some way. I went to a local store and purchased some artificial flor de la Nochebuenao, the poinsettia. In my bag of goodies I has the Poinsettias along with a wire cutter and my dear best female friend for over thirty years lent me a shawl she had made. The shawl was done on a similar loom as the one that Lucinda and her mother, a fine weaver, worked on. The Story this time was: A Mexican Legend - retold and illustrated by Tomie dePaola. The students loved being able to touch the shawl they oohed and awed over its softness and its warmth. Then came the Mice. It recent years one needs to be constantly careful what foods are taken and or offered in schools. Many have allergies, and the list goes on. I was prepared with individual packets that the teacher and I put one mouse in and I told them they could not eat the mouse at school rather they were to take it home, share it and possible make more. They were content with that. Then as I was feeling so good about sharing not only my time, but also things I made by hand, the class totally surprised me. I was handed a festive bag and was told my students I must open it right now. I love that…that was even better, as it is difficult for me to wait…just ask my family.
And here is a picture of my newest Frog. I told the students that when I returned in January I would bring a picture and would have decided on the PROPER name for the frog. While writing this and taking pictures, it is so obvious. Lucinda, after the girl in the story, Feliz Navidad!

2 comments:

DeeMom said...

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm? Maybe the other way around, the mice has friends in Low places! HA HA

DeeMom said...

I must admit, the PLATING is tempting, HA HA!