Monday, September 11, 2006

Remembering

As I read our daughters and her husband’s blog, this excerpt that I am sharing with you made me pause and reflect. I was so worried about the kids; I never gave thoughts to how they felt; now we know. I was teaching a unit on Hurricanes, weather, and charting to my High School Special needs students. That is why the TV was on that early in the morning. Hurricane Juliette and others. The rest as they say is history. But there I was and as their blog points out everyone was scattered. It was all I could muster to get through until lunch time. I had a very understanding principal at that time and he allowed me to go home and gather information about our children. A collegue covered for my home room and the last class of the day. Obviously all the kids were ok, my sweetie was able to get news reports on a satalite radio and his crew knew about the tragedy about two days after it happened. There is an emergency number that can be used. I left a message that he would receive when they got out of the Boundry Waters that everyone was ok. It is always wonderful to have him back after these long trips, but that time seemed to go on forever, his not being here. It WAS scarry. As I recall when he returned I do not think I let go of him for days… "And tomorrow is September 11th. It’s hard to believe it was five years ago when we were attacked. We were living in DC then and I got to work before Matt did. I got to the office right when the second plane hit and as we were hearing that there were attacks at the Capitol and fires all around DC (which turned out to not be true) and I was frantically calling Matt. It was awful. Then the plane crashed in PA and I was trying to figure out where that was in relation to where Sarah was in school. My one brother had recently left the Marines so I was worried he’d get called back. The other was in the Coast Guard and in Baltimore at the time, so I was worried about him. And my dad was in the boundry waters of Canada, my mom was home alone, my dog got really sick and so did my granddad. I have never been so scared in my life."

No comments: