Wednesday, April 25, 2007

A Dandy Wednesday Day

Some think this is an invasive WEED. I have always enjoyed seeing them ever since I would gather a fist full and present them to my Mom or my Grandmother. I remember their delighted ohhs and ahawssssssssssss. I also remember as the season went toward later spring and then the dandelion changed from a brilliant yellow tuff into its mature stages. When the slightest wind would distribute the seeds. I am sure many of you remember picking them at this stage and helping distribute the seeds even more. I snicker now as I recall back in the day so to speak, when I would pick the mature dandelions and purposefully blow them onto perfectly manicured lawns. Then forget to check the following spring to see if my efforts panned out! Some people say Dandelion greens are wonderful in salads, sautéed or steamed. They taste like chicory and endive, with an intense heartiness overlying a bitter tinge. You can also eat dandelion flowers, or use them to make wine. Collect them in a sunny meadow, just before mid-spring, when the most flowers bloom. Some continue to flower right into the fall. Use only the flower’s yellow parts. The green sepals at the flower’s base are bitter. Dandelion Wine · 1 qt. dandelion blossoms · 1 gal. hot water · 3 1/2 lb. sugar · 2 lemons, cut up · 2 oranges, cut up 1. Pour hot water over dandelion blossoms. 2. Let stand for 24 hours. 3. Strain in a jelly bag. 4. Heat juice again and add sugar, lemons and oranges. 5. Reheat, then put in a stone jar. 6. Let ferment. 7. Skim everyday for 6 or 7 weeks. Then bottle. For more Dandelion Recipes click here!

No comments: