Monday, March 12, 2007

Jet Lag and Daylight savings time

We left Kusadasi, Turkey [population 50000 and port town for Ephesus] on Friday having been awake since 5 a.m. and toured Ephesus. More walking up hill and down on uneven and unpaved terrain. Cobblestone streets while beautiful do take their toll on my knee pits. Turkey is 7 hours ahead of EST (USA) and 2 hours ahead of Greenwich Meantime during the summer and 1 hour during the winter season. Split between two continents – Europe and Asia – the European side of Turkey belies its eastern status, offering the kind of lifestyle far more commonly associated with that of the west. Sandwiched between three seas – the Aegean, Mediterranean and Black Sea. Then later off in a bus to to the Fantasia Hotel still in Kusadasi for a mere 4 hours before leaving on a short flight to the Airport in Izmir. Turkey and about 11:45 p.m.[their time] to be transferred to Instanbul, Turkey for the first leg of our return. Izmir has a population of 3.2 million people. As Kusadasi’s premiere hotel, Fantasia offers the convenience of both the modern world, and the historic. Izmir Adnan Menderes Airport is only 65 kilometers away. Surrounding you are the antique cities of Ephesus, Pirene, Miletus, Didyma, including the House of the Virgin Mary. Whilst the turquoise sea is so close you can hear the lapping of the waves...we were not there long enough to enjoy that but the food was awesome. As I stood on the balcony of our room and looked at the moon and Venus I looked forward even more to be home. That same moon and star was looking down upon my home and my Sweetie. I guess it is rather obvious I was eager to return! What throbbing aches and pains. I am still in that JET LAG frame. My Internal clock is out of sync with my external environment. While it is good to be home I can safely say making breakfast and dinner as well as grocery shopping was quite taxing. Today I shall chill out and try very hard not to see all that needs tended to. Frankly that is rather difficult for me to do! The refrigerator is loaded and the laundry has been started. How much further I will get is in that part of la la land. While here most people are complaining about a one-hour difference and feeling out of sync I am dealing with many more hours of transition. Jet lag, or desynchronosis, is a temporary condition that some people experience following air travel across several time zones in a short period of time. Jet lag, or desynchronosis, is a temporary condition that some people experience following air travel across several time zones in a short period of time.

No comments: