Friday, February 02, 2007

What is it with the Ocean what is the attraction?

As I begin to assimilate all about my trip I thought I heard the waves. Granted it was early in the morning as I sipped my first cup of coffee/ Happy to be back home and looking out the windows of the Nook. As I slowly stir to a level of awake ness the sounds baffled me. I was even thinking I had water in my ears and my ears were like listening to a Conch Shell. How absurd was that? I did locate the source and thank goodness is was only George snoring ever so gently.
With the first full day being totally at sea I was engulfed in the beauty of the water. One can take only so many pictures of waves, but then the next one looks magncifant. Then there were the Flying Fish. I never captured them on film. I can tell you they were very small and quick. Flying fish eat things smaller than they are-small fishes, plankton, and even small crustaceans. There are 52 different documented species of flying fish.
Plankton is the foundation of the ocean food web. The word plankton comes from the Greek word "planktos" which means drifting. I was hoping to see some phosphorescent plankton at night but the ship kept running lights on all night.
Tomorrow San Juan (sahn HWAHN) and the El Yunque Rainforest - According to ancient Indian Legend, the good spirit 'Yuquiyu' reigned on his mighty mountain-top throne, protecting Puerto Rico and its people. San Juan is known as "La Ciudad Amurallada" (the walled city). San Juan was founded in 1521. In 1508 Juan Ponce de León founded the original settlement, Caparra, now known as Pueblo Viejo, behind the almost land-locked harbor just to the west of the present metropolitan area.

No comments: