Tuesday, April 08, 2008

One of my Favorite Spring flowers ~

Virginia Bluebells
Mertensia virginica
Borage family (Boraginaceae)
I do qualify this because I like them [flowers] all…

@@

It is so good to see them after a year and relish in their Glory.
Description:
This native perennial plant is 1–2½' tall, branching occasionally. The central stem is round, hairless, and light green. The alternate leaves are up to 7" long and 3" across. They are light green or greyish green, hairless, with a soft floppy texture. The leaves are ovate-oval or ovate-oblong in shape, with smooth margins, and conspicuous pinnate venation. They usually taper to a winged petiole, although some of the upper leaves are sessile. Some of the upper stems terminate in nodding clusters of light blue flowers. These flowers are about ¾–1" long. The corolla of each flower is tubular, flaring outward toward the 5 shallow lobes like a trumpet. Within the corolla, are 5 white stamens with light brown anthers and a white style that is long and slender. The small greyish green calyx is divided into 5 blunt teeth. While in the bud stage, the flowers are a light purplish pink, but become light blue with maturity. The blooming period occurs from mid- to late spring, and lasts about 3 weeks. The ovary is divided into 4 lobes, which contain the nutlets. The root system consists of a taproot. This plant often forms colonies. Pictures HERE! @@ Don’t you think they would make awesome dangling earrings???? @@
The next favorite for earrings would we Forget me Nots…the little Button earrings… ;) Alaska State Flower @ Forget-me-Not
@
Myosotis sylvatica
@@
[HISTORYIn the genus family of the Forget-Me-nots, there are over 50 species. By historical account, we believe the Forget-Me-Not, which grows in abundance along river banks and stream beds, was often picked by Knights and given to their lovers. The flower would be worn by the lover as a sing of faithfulness and enduring love with assurance the Knight would not be forgotten. It is a flower connected with romance and tragic fate of the knighting profession of the 15th century. In a wedding display, Forget-Me-Nots offer a great accent to daffodils and tulips.]
@@
@
Send or give Forget-Me-Nots as a sign of true love or friendship.
@@
The Forget me knots are in leaf but not yet in flower….
The pictures I have here are from Sunday through today…
arranged in a progression MAN ya got to love spring and the warm Temperatures!
I think the word exhilarating would say it all!

10 comments:

Lilli & Nevada said...

I love For Get me Nots they are so dainty. I am amazed that you have so many flowers out already.

Julie said...

Beautiful flowers! Spring can't come fast enough for me either.

dot said...

If Virginia blue bells grew in Georgia would they be called Georgia blue bells?
They are very pretty and yes I think the forget me nots would make great earrings!

Stacey Olson said...

Dee, beautiful flowers, We have blue bells here, but I do believe they are different.. thanks for sharing your husbands bear story...hehe.. :)

DeeMom said...

DOT, there are Peaches adn then there are GORGIA PEACHES...

:)

THe best of course, without DOUBT are Georgia Peaches Picked Fresh from A Georgia Tree...

;)


Thanks Julie.....

Lilli I live in West Virginai Zone 5



Stacey glad you enjoyed the abbreviated story of the bear

Anonymous said...

Dee, thank you for your visit and comment on my blog..
I love For Get me Nots..very soon they will bloom in my garden again.
They look beautiful in a small vase as well.
Virginia blue bells? I am not sure if we have them in Canada. Have to look for them..
Cheers Gisela

Alyssa said...

Hi Dee - I have a few Virginia Bluebells in the gardens and they slowly spread. I love how the flowers change color from different angles. They are beautiful. Oddly enough, I've never grown Forget-me-nots. What a lovely littel flower.

Anonymous said...

Forget me not flowers are so cute.

Arlene,
West Bremerton florist

Tom said...

Hi Dee
Guess what.... I forgot.. I forgot to comment on this.. I meant to honest, but I got called away and I forgot.. so I beg your forgiveness and promise to remember next time...
Your post and pictures are very beautiful.. but I forgot the forget me nots..

Ramosforest.Environment said...

Spring there. Beautiful flowers.