Saturday, June 14, 2008

Tomorrow is Father’s Day

Check the GUMMY WORMS out just an added touch for THE Fisherman… ;)
I have, as usual, many CARDS and Flowers!
Yup FLOWERS! I will need to sneak a picture of them as they are hidden until tomorrow…unless I just cannot wait... ;)
While my Sweetie is NOT my father, he is the FATHER of our children. In that sense it is right to honor him.

To this day I still hold both my Mother and Father close to my heart.

There are many times, in fact that I consciously look heavenward to thank my Dad for teaching me something. Be it ever so simple as using an old pipe to become the casing for a stop on a garden gate.

Yup no going to the Hardware store, he taught me to improvise and essentially think outside the box! Now as I see it that is one heck of a Tribute.

My Sweetie also possesses a number of those qualities…must be ONE of the reasons I was attracted to him.

So Happy Fathers Day to the Father of my Children and to my Dad as he looks down upon us here.

I might add, My Daddy was ornery, must have rubbed off on me… ;)

I sure remember Mom getting upset with him from time to time…looking back it was a loving upset.

In the United States, the first modern Father's Day celebration was held on July 5, 1908, in Fairmont, West Virginia[10][11] or on June 19th of the same year, in the state of Washington[12]. Today, Father's Day is celebrated on the 3rd Sunday of June.

In West Virginia, it was first celebrated as a church service at Williams Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church South, now known as Central United Methodist Church. Grace Golden Clayton, who is believed to have suggested the service to the pastor, is believed to have been inspired to celebrate fathers after the deadly mine explosion in nearby Monongah the prior December. This explosion killed 361 men, many of them fathers and recent immigrants to the United States from Italy. Another possible inspiration for the service was Mothers' Day, which had been celebrated for the first time two months prior in Grafton, West Virginia, a town about 15 miles (24 km) away.

4 comments:

Coy Hill said...

Hard to believe, the kind of beating Wva takes for being a bunch of backward hillbillys and yet Fathers & Mothers day both were Wva inspirations!

BTW that is some fish! :)

DeeMom said...

YA think my Hubby will like it?

DeeMom said...

Wait until he sees what else is LURKING to be opened...tee hee

Tom said...

I got up this moprning and hovered the carpet, mopped the kitchen floor and made Jane and my sons breakfast... I'd just started to polish the woodwork when they both burst out laughing.. more like Mothers day Dad, our sam said.

Nice tribute to both your men Dee.