Saturday, June 07, 2008

June 6th

Date stuck in my mind Umm Odd

Sooooooooooooooooooo once it got cooler here I pondered why THIS DATE?
After having almost a week of rain we now are slated to have a week of scorching hot and humid weather.
Temperatures hovering in the mid nineties, YIKES! Summer is not even here YET!
In the early morning hours of June 6, 1944, Americans received word that three years of concerted war efforts had finally culminated in D-day--military jargon for the undisclosed time of a planned British, American, and Canadian action. During the night, over 5,300 ships and 11,000 planes had crossed the English Channel and landed on the beaches of Normandy. The goal of every soldier and civilian involved in that effort was to drive the German military back to Berlin by opening a western front in Europe. 1944 - World War II: Battle of Normandy begins. D-Day, code named Operation Overlord, commences with the landing of 155,000 Allied troops on the beaches of Normandy in France. The allied soldiers quickly break through the Atlantic Wall and push inland in the largest amphibious military operation in history. D - Day Fact Sheet
~
Since I was not even BORN then
~~
I must thank a History Educator!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was about ten when this landing happened. If you see the Screaming Eagle black patch with the arch over it, that was my patch 8 years after the landing and I took my basic training with the outfit.

101st Airborne Division.

Alyssa said...

It must have been a horrific experience. I read that it was an organized chaos and many of the allies didn't even make it ten feet onto the beach! Such times !!

Tom said...

Neat post Dee... history books for me to, and of course that great film 'The Longest Day'

Julie said...

A terrible loss of life. Thank you for remembering.