Tuesday, September 04, 2007

The beauty of college football

Now that Labor Day, The Jubilee and most importantly my Sweeties Birthday are over I can tell you about our Alma Maters first game of the season. Plus some selected shots from Jackson’s Mill.
~~ I worked two days at the Jubilee; the second day was permeated with anticipation of the first game.
~~~ Song called ” Anticipation” by Carly Simon 1972 hit song ~~ Anticipation, Anticipation
~
Is making me late
~
Is keeping me waiting
~
Ha there’s another generation out there that’s going to think ketchup. This song was made famous by a Heinz ketchup commercial in the late '70s. Heinz ketchup is thick and pours very slowly. In the commercial, a person would be shown waiting for the ketchup to come out of the bottle as the chorus of "Anticipation" played in the background. For this reason, many people think of this song as "The Ketchup Song." But this happened with many songs.
~~~
Kick off was to be @ 3 pm. Inside our Guild room there was a TV but outside we had a tent and another area showing more of the handicraft that many of the participants made. I was outside enjoying the lovely weather and of course people watching. ~~~~ In my bag I had my knitting and a radio, for the game of course, my toes were appropriately painted, the Mountaineer earrings and necklace, the cap and of course the tee shirt were ready. To many this is going to sound silly, but that is ok by me. Whatever shirt, earrings etc I wear on the day of the first game I feel inclined to wear at all the games. Granted most of the games I listen to and or watch on the Tube [aka TV]. This year I started with the radio so I will continue with that. So you get the drift
~~~
Time to turn the radio on, 45 minutes before the game begins, I must keep the volume down…a respect thing. I hear snippets about Appalachian State. It was not until I got home that my Sweetie told me the whole story, an almost play-by-play of one heck of a game. ~~~ People would pass the tent and inquire, “What’s the score now?” Kinda neat actually. Several EMT’s were conveniently parked close to the tiny radio ~~~ ~~~ Before WVU played: Appalachian State students celebrate huge upset of No. 5 Michigan.
~~~~
BOONE, N.C. -- The monumental upset at No. 5 Michigan was only minutes old when, more than 400 miles away, Appalachian State senior David Rockensuess and a dozen or so other students did what delirious college football fans always do. They headed for the school's football stadium, climbed the fence, and tore down the goalpost. ...More. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ • 2nd-tier Appalachian State stuns No. 5 Michigan 34-32 - Sep 1 (AP) • Hail to the victors - Sep 1 (Yahoo! Sports)
~~~~~~~
Slaton, White shine in No. 3 West Virginia's 62-24 win over Western MichiganJOHN RABY, Sep 1, 2007 With Pat White and Steve Slaton on the field, points were easy to come by for No. 3 West Virginia. White passed for two touchdowns and ran for two more, and Slaton scored four times as the Mountaineers came up with their highest scoring game in six years in a 62-24 rout of Western Michigan on Saturday. ...More ~~~~~~~~~~ Whooooooooo Hooooooooooooooooooooooo how sweet it is! I drove home still listening to the car radio, and then I got out of the car switched to the portable radio and walked around until the game was over. Then I could relax. My Sweetie and youngest son were glued to the tube. I walked around and began fixing dinner. A plus for a radio as I see it!
~~~~

4 comments:

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Looks like great fun, love the dog!

DeeMom said...

Hi Iowa, This was a two-year-old female Mastiffs, her name according to the Scotsman is Buddy. He said, “ She is my Buddy.”

He said she was a Brindle, he also commented that this color is rare. He quoted the odds of a litter having this color but I forget

Alyssa said...

The Jubilee looks really neat - all kinds of things to see and do.

I have a girlfriend who's also a rabid football fan. She wants to be buried with the Green Bay Packers! She'd come to work with a Packer shirt and earrings and I think she had a cheese hat one time. She and her husband had Packer Christmas ornaments, green and gold lights etc, etc. Game day was (and is) a wonderful celebration for her. (She was in heaven when they won the SuperBowl.) Even though I'm not a fan of any sports, her enthusiasm and enjoyment of it made me feel good. I hope your team wins - Go Mountaineers!!

DeeMom said...

I can sure appreciate your friend’s enthusiasm Alyssa. Quite similar perchance to ours when WVU wins 2007 Toyota Gator Bowl
Quarterback Patrick White led West Virginia back from an 18-point halftime deficit for a 38-35 victory over Georgia Tech in the Gator Bowl.

Comeback kids

West Virginia came back from 18 points down in the third quarter to defeat Georgia Tech 38-35 in the 2007 Toyota Gator Bowl at Alltel Stadium in Jacksonville, Fla.
Talk about sitting on the edge of our seats. What a happy crowd to boot!

Maybe again this year we can go to the Bowl Game. What FUN!