Sunday, March 30, 2008

Surprising Blossoms ;=)

Out of the ordinary bizarre & brilliant Blossoms
,,
It all started quite innocently…
''
Gee should I add on a bright and sunny day?
There I was planting two new Blueberry bushes ,,,
The berry bushes are at the eastern end of our Veggie Garden… Blueray Blueberry ~~ Vaccinium ‘Blueberry’ '' 'Blueray' grows to heights of 4 to 5' and the same in diameter. This is a midseason, very hardy, upright vigorous bush that produces large, light-blue, highly tart fruit that ripens 1 to 2 weeks after the cultivar, 'Bluetta'. This deciduous shrub is dense with an upright, multiple-branched growth habit. Leaves are elliptical, and can be toothed or entire, to 3 inches long, turning red or yellow in the fall. White, sometimes-pink tinged flowers to 1/2 inch across are held in pendant terminal racemes. Flowers are followed by edible, sweet, round, deep blue berries to 1/2 inch across. Many varieties are available, check for the ones that are best suited to your local area. Blueberries love acid soil. My Sweetie had just planted his Peach Trees in the Orchard that is just beyond the Veggie garden, slightly North East '' Prunus persica 'Golden Jubilee' (Peach)
''
The peach is the most adaptable of all fruit trees for home gardens. When planting, they should be spaced to allow a spread of 20 to 25 feet. At 3 or 4 years of age they begin to bear large crops and reach peak productivity at 8 to 12 years. Peaches need clear, hot weather during their growing season and require well-drained soil as well as a regular fertilizing program. They also require heavier pruning than any other fruit trees to maintain size and encourage new growth. Most peach varieties are self fertile, not requiring a second tree. Cannot tolerate extreme winter cold or late frost. Peach leaf curl, brown rot, peach scab and peach tree borer can be a problem.
Ummmmmmmmmmmmm this is the oddest thing I have ever seen… Must be a Mitten tree… BUT Look another ODD tree, must be the Kite Tree [I tried to fly my kite today, but alas the wind was just not up to it… '''' The bag that holds my kite is in this tree ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~ ~~Thanks Annie ~~

10 comments:

Annie said...

Oh my, you have a Kite-Eating-Tree.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kite-Eating_Tree

Stacey Olson said...

Looks like your getting ready for spring.

DeeMom said...

OH ANNIE how NEAT… NOW if the winds cooperates I might see this…tomorrow is another day however

DeeMom said...

Stacey, we are indeed getting ready…we so love the outdoors…we actually got quite a bit accomplished this weekend. Thanks for popping onto my blog. I looked at both of your blogs and the photography and content is Wonderful.

dot said...

That was a very good post right from the start to the finish and including Annie's link. Enjoyed it!

Willard said...

Thanks for your excellent comment on my blog.

It's good to see that spring is here and that you are getting some planting done.

I like the humor that you injected with the mitten tree and kite tree.

Ki said...

For a moment there, I thought you had some serious fungus on the peach tree! ;)

Alyssa said...

I wish I was planting blueberries and peaches in my yard! We still have fairly cold windy weather, but most of the snow is nearly gone. The dreaded Kite Eating Tree - there was one near my house when I was little. And I've seen some growing in the local park . ..

Tom said...

Jane will love this.. she as alaways like Charlie Brown

EG CameraGirl said...

Hahaha! You have quite the orchard with mitten and kite trees. So where do I go to purchase some for my gardens?