Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Already had my fill of GREENS

The formula for shear stress in a beam is: See viscosity ;
~~~~~~~~
As soon as my Sweetie left I got one more hour of weed eating in before the heat would be too intense. While the chore is far from complete, I call it an on going work in progress; I have used all the gas in the designated can. Therefore that means I am finished? Well it’s a thought ;)
~~~~~~~~
Now on to less green activities as today the new mattress arrives. I so hope that we picked well. I figure it’s a 50-50 guesstimate. Soon enough we will have the verdict. I figure twenty years on the life of a mattress is ling enough. Add four children bouncing all over it for sure counts. Of course children jumping is a major NO NO as far as mattress manufactures say.
~~~~~~~~ The average mattress lasts about 10 years. By adding ¼ plywood between the box springs we added 10 more years.
~~~~~~~ Several weeks ago I went to all available stores in search of the Perfect Mattress. I always wore comfortable clothing, sandals, and was prepared to spend at least 15 minutes per mattress. After doing the preliminary research my Sweetie also tested the beds and offered his opinions.
~~~~~~~~~ According to the research I had these products to consider. I read much on mattresses. This I thought was fascinating: During the Neolithic period: The mattress and bed are invented. Beds are raised off the ground to avoid drafts, dirt, and pests. The first mattress probably consists of a pile of leaves, grass, or possibly straw, with animal skins over it.
~~~~ Hello lets go camping and forget the tent the pots and pans and do a Euell Gibbons. Stalking the Wild Asparagus (1962) and Stalking the Blue-Eyed Scallop (1964) ~~ To name a couple of his books.
~~~
The word ”mattress”is derived from Arabic words meaning, "to throw" and "place where something is thrown" or "mat, cushion." During the Crusades, Europeans adopted the Arabic method of sleeping on cushions thrown on the floor, and the word materas eventually descended into Middle English through the Romance languages.[1]
~~~
~~~~Crusades ey? In 1970s: NASA invents material that later becomes known as memory foam[2]. This has to do with viscosity. YIKES Physics and MATH?
~~~~~~~~

Viscosity is a measure of the resistance of a fluid to deform under shear stress. Memory foam was originally developed by NASA to ease the pressure of extreme G-force during space shuttle take off. It was never used in the space program, but was subsequently used in medical applications, for example with patients suffering from pressure sores or bed-bound for a long period.

~~~ This of course brought to mind the story by Hans Christian Anderson. The Princess and the Pea.

~~~~~~~~~~~

So hold the calls I will be seeing if I can locate any peas!

Tee hee Once Upon a Mattress

2 comments:

Tene Murray said...

Can't wait for the review on the new mattress!

Did "Princess Dee" feel the pea?

*Giggle*

DeeMom said...

UH HUH Tene like I am going to tell!
;)

double giggle!
add sly grin